Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Grits!!

I'm wondering if you love grits like I love grits!?   There's nothing quite as warm, cozy, and yummy as a steaming bowl of white OR yellow grits(although yellow grits are difficult to find these days) with a pat of butter and some salt.  Oh yum.
I loved them as a child, too, but for some reason..no matter how careful I was..I ended up with grits in my hair and on my face.  The more I tried to get it off, the more I got on me! :) It was rather comical.
Growing up, I thought grits were supposed to have big lumps in them.  Once I grew up and went out into the world, I realized they were supposed to be completely lumpless!  Mama was good at many things, but cooking wasn't one of them.  I can't blame her, she worked full time, sometimes two jobs to support us four kids. (My daddy and why she left him is a story for another time).  Anyway, mama could make a few things VERY well.  She made THE best potato salad and coleslaw and she made a yummy roast.
Just reading my friend, Gina's, blog about her mother's sewing reminded me that I used to draw a picture of a skirt or dress I wanted(like someone's at school) and mama would cut a pattern from newspaper and make what I wanted!  I did NOT get that talent.
Back to grits.  They NEED to be eaten with toast smeared with more butter.  Oh my, I'm making myself hungry. Back in the day, I also thought that toast had to be burned black and then scraped off!  I really did! We didn't have a toaster, mama toasted bread in the oven..and she'd forget to check it. Well, she did have four kids running around!  So, we'd scrape the black off, butter it and eat it.  Again, later, I learned it wasn't required to blacken bread before you called it 'toast'.
My grandfather was from the north and he...yuck...ate his grits with SUGAR. Sugar?!  He was wise in so many ways, how could he get that so wrong?  I never could understand that. Now I hear other people say they like their grits that way.  They must not be from around here...bless their hearts. ;)


 This image was originally posted to Flickr by sashafatcat at http://flickr.com/photos/91255327@N00/3530598902. It was reviewed on by the FlickreviewR robot and was confirmed to be licensed under the terms of the cc-by-2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment