Monday, August 26, 2013

Pot pie

 This was last night's supper...and will be tonight's supper, too.  It has a rustic crust as you can see.  The filling started out with a pork loin roast that I brined and slow cooked in my crock pot a few days ago.  The brine with molasses, salt and water...as well, as the seasoning rub I used after the brine is from a recipe by Alton Brown, Food Network Star.  (I always want to say Alton John...lol)  I will add the recipe for you.  I didn't use a smoker, just the crockpot.  However I did use Smoky Paprika which added a little of that smoked flavor.
Here's where you can find Alton's Recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe/index.html

It's easy to follow.  I didn't have Boston Butt so I used this huge pork loin.  It turned out so tender, just falling apart.  And the sauce in the crockpot was delicious! 
So for the pot pie, I chopped an onion and two potatoes and cooked them in a pan with about a tablespoon or two of olive oil.  I added some of the pork loin that was left over...probably about 3 cups.. and shredded carrot and English peas.  When the potatoes were tender, I put the whole mixture into a homemade unbaked pie shell and covered it with another.  Baked it at 350 until the crust was golden brown.  Oh, and I brushed beaten egg on top before I put it in the oven.  It made a huge pie, so we've had it again tonight..there's still some left! May have to freeze it.  This big pork loin has mad six meals for me and Mark! Yummy ones, too.
I'll definitely use Alton's recipe again.  The fennel seeds add such a special flavor to the meat.

Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment